Following the success of. the first holiday hotline (Will is currently planning his trip to Jordan – wahey!) I thought I’d get back on the search to find someone else a proper great holiday for less.
Make sure you’re following me on Instagram so that you know when the next hotline is live!
THE REQUEST: August bank holiday birthday fun – 4 days – somewhere hot
So, this week’s main hotline request comes in from Vicky who’s wanting a getaway over the August bank holiday as it’s her birthday that Friday and her work give her the DAY OFF – what a perk!
Heres what she’s after:
- Ideally leave on evening of Thurs 22nd Aug
- 4 days but could take more time off
- Somewhere hot
- Going with someone so can share a room
So, where are we going?
Unfortunately, flights to warmer destinations such as Lisbon (one of my faves) were starting at £150 so I made the decision to change the return date to Tuesday 27th August instead.
As the Spanish capital, there’s so much to see and do but having visited recently, I was really enamoured by the fact that it didn’t come with big city price tag.
With many menu del dia’s (three course lunches with wine – HALLOH) costing less than €10 and €1,20 rides on their well linked metro system, you’ll find that your money goes pretty far in this capital city.
As for the weather, Madrid in the summer gets HOT and August hits an average of 31 degrees – there’s a siesta for a reason. Which is why I think it’s important to find Vicky a hotel with not only some decent air con, but also some outdoor space and maybe, if we’re lucky, a pool.
Where are we staying then?
For this, I simply hopped on trivago and changed my filters to include:
- Up to £100 a night
- 3-5 star
- Guest rating 7.5+
- City centre location
- With pool (fingers crossed)
With trivago, I always leave a bit of wiggle room with the price because annoyingly, they only filter based on the price they offer you in bold which is not always the cheapest price out there. That can be found by clicking on ‘more deals’.
So, as you can see above, if we’d been looking for a room that cost £85 or less, this option wouldn’t have come up.
As Vicky will be staying 5 nights, I’m going to try and find a place around £80 a night so that she and her travel partner aren’t going to be spending more than £200 on accommodation each.
Axel Hotel Madrid
£82 a night (£41 each)
- 4 star with cool, quirky style
- Very highly rated
- Rooftop pool and terrace
- Air con in every room
- Adults only (no offence kids but HELL YEAH!)
- Bizarrely would cost you £187 a night if you booked direct
- Better photos can be found here (Booking.com always create such good picture galleries!)
I wouldn’t have picked up on this at all had I not checked out their own site, but Axel Hotels are a chain that focus on the LGBTIQ+ community who are proudly heterofriendly! They welcome everyone, no matter their sexual orientation, without prejudice which I think is a great business to support.
H10 Puerta de Alcalá
£87 a night (£43.50 each)
- 4 star with super chic decor
- Very well rated
- Incredible rooftop pool and terrace (H10 always NAIL this)
- Air con
- Again, you can peruse a better photo gallery (in my opinion) here
- Well rated with great reviews
- Okay so NO POOL – but you do have your own cute terrace
- The sofa bed means that two adults could have a bed each
- Air conditioning
- A kitchen with everything you could need to help you save money on food whilst in Madrid
So how much is this costing?
Based on going with the cheaper hotel, this 5 night birthday getaway will set Vicky back £289.
Which for a long capital city break across a popular bank holiday staying in a well rated, central hotel with a pool seems a pretty good deal to me.
I hope you have the best birthday holiday EVER, Vicky!
Any time for a few more requests?
Sure, let’s razz through a few more.
THE REQUEST: Venice – August bank holiday weekend
You lot are mad for your bank holiday getaways it seems!
Flights to Venice are not cheap but the best deal I could find was flying out later on the Friday and coming back early on the Tuesday morning.
London to Venice
Fri 23rd Aug – Tues 27th Aug
If you can get the time off, you can also fly back on the Tues at 2125 for £134.
Venice isn’t necessarily the cheapest destination and is already pretty booked up that weekend but there’s still some decent deals to be had!
In the same building as a hotel, what it lacks in personality it makes up for with its clean, practical and low cost. The hotel reception also means you can check in 24/7 and you’re just a 10 minute bus from the historic centre of Venice.
Hurrah, we’ve made it over to the main island but it does mean we’ll have to stay in a private room… But it’s a very cute one if that helps?!
£108.33 a night + €21 on check in (£57.17 each)
If you want to be super central, get ready for some proper OLD SKOOL ITALIAN DECOR! Which I personally love. This place is 3 star, well rated and really close to many of Venice’s historic monuments.
THE REQUEST: Barcelona – September. About £500 all in. 3 people from Manchester.
Now this didn’t say how many days, so I’ve gone for a cheeky little long weekend getaway for you!
Manchester to Barcelona
Fri 6th Sep – Mon 9th Sep
The Bicycle Apartments
£124.66 a night (£41.50 each)
As I wasn’t sure on what formation the 3 adults would need to sleep in, The Bicycle Apartments have a range of options that would work and if you can stretch to the Design Duplex at £55 a night each, you can all get a double bed!
An 11 min walk from Plaça d’Espanya and has plenty of transport options in its midst.
Total cost = £183.50 each leaving plenty of money for food and fun!
Went went to Barcelona last year and managed to bag ourselves an INSANE apartment for next to nothing so you could try giving Love Home Swap a try too!
THE REQUEST: Booked flights to NYC for 30th November – 5th December… Now to find a hotel? Under £700 please!
Ah yes. New York accommodation. It’s never fun 🤣
Now, there are some options in Manhattan for around £140 a night but they are – pardon my French – absolute horse shit. And I refuse to recommend anyone stay anywhere so crap!
So instead, I’m going to take us across the East River to Brooklyn. It has easy access over to Manhattan and is a place to visit and enjoy in its own right. In fact, it’s my favourite area of New York!
It’s also particularly helpful if you’re flying in from JFK as it’s the same side of the city.
Henry Norman Hotel – £684.28 total
- Trendy 3.5 star hotel with excellent ratings
- Greenpoint is another area that’s become a ‘hip’ place to visit in recent years
- 11 min walk to the G line up to connect to then connect to either the L or the 7 across to Manhattan
- Also, the hotel provides a shuttle to take you to nearby subway station
Hotel Le Jolie – £799 total
- Basic (but with a modern edge) 2.5 star hotel
- Very well rated
- Williamsburg is an AMAZING part of Brooklyn – full of cool shops, cafes, bars and restaurants
- Great location – just a 7 min walk from L line over to Manhattan (20 mins to Union Square)
THE REQUEST: Mid August trip in Scotland. Ending in Glasgow. Car hire, beautiful roads & good value
Okay, there’s a lot to unpack here but here are my headlines:
- Look into the North Coast 500 road trip. James and I did it in 6 days last summer and it was phenomenal
- Whilst in many places you may have no choice, but always choose B&Bs over hotels. Much better value for money and the breakfasts are EPIC!!!! Check Airbnb too for B&Bs
- For car hire, Skyscanner is great at giving an overview but also check Turo – it’s like Airbnb but for people’s cars!
- Also, if you’re very lucky you may be able to relocate a campervan from Edinburgh for £1 A DAY with Spaceship Rentals! The only problem is you’ll probably have to return it to London… But hey, did I mention the £1 a day??!
- We also ended our trip in Glasgow and went all out by staying at the Dakota hotel. It’s not cheap but we got their Friday night offer (can only be booked via their website) where we both got a cocktail, £25 each towards dinner, a cooked breakfast and a LUSH ROOM for £200 (£100 each). It was a total treat but I would absolutely recommend it, especially after a week of B&Bs!!
THE REQUEST: More drunk videos of James
Hahaha. We’re off to Croatia on Wednesday so I’m sure there will be more to come. But for now, skip to 37 seconds to keep you going.
This is from the FIRST VLOG I EVER MADE!!! #classicdrunkjames
So, thats it for the second every holiday hotline! I’m so sorry to all the people I didn’t get to – I do hope I can help you out in the future.
Make sure to give me a follow on Instagram if you want to be involved in the next – and let me know if you end up booking any of these!